AVP Commercial Negotiation & Execution
The Commercial Negotiation & Execution (CNX) function forms an integral part of the delivery of our commercial strategy and management of our customers’ needs.
Delivering for our customers is at the heart of our business and our CNX function has a broad remit from leading the negotiation, project management and execution of the various contracts for all transactions undertaken by SMBC AC including leasing, trading, restructuring, OEM procurement and capital markets, managing post-delivery activity and customer relationships through to managing closings and document management.
Reporting to an SVP in CNX and located in Dublin, the position of AVP CNX plays an important role within the CNX function. The AVP CNX will assume responsibility for the negotiation, project management, execution and delivery of various contracts for transactions undertaken by SMBC AC. This role will have exposure to the world’s largest and most innovative commercial aircraft manufacturers, law firms and a global airline and investor customer base, providing opportunities to work with executive and management colleagues across the business and at our customers. Your responsibilities within CNX will depend on your level of experience and competencies and the requirements of CNX from time to time.
The CNX function reports to the Chief Commercial Officer and together with Airline Marketing (AM), Aircraft Trading (AT), Procurement, Technical, and Portfolio Risk Management, forms Team CCO.
- Project managing aircraft delivery and other transaction closings to ensure they are completed on time and to budget, whilst also ensuring all post-delivery matters are managed efficiently across the company.
- Work in deal teams to structure product and transaction offerings on the full range of cross-border aviation financing transactions.
- Participate and lead commercial negotiations at both contract stage and post contract stage on behalf of SMBC AC with airlines, investors, financiers, OEMs and other industry players.
- Participate in and lead Deal Teams and project manage designated transactions post LOI, including, deliveries, transitions, financings and portfolio management transactions through contract negotiation, signing, delivery/completion and post-completion to ensure that transactions execute and close on time and on budget.
- Assume an important role in implementing our risk management framework through optimal structuring, teamwork, industry-leading documentation and attention to detail.
- In a key customer facing role you will be expected to become a primary contact for airline customers, aircraft investors, law firms and other industry participants on transactions.
- Co-ordinate the input of legal, tax, accounting and other professional advisors and represent the interests of SMBC AC and our shareholders in our deals to ensure SMBC AC understands the legal, tax and commercial environment in all jurisdictions where we do business and facilitating our ability to enter new markets.
- Work with our global panel of law firms to prepare and negotiate industry-leading documents ensuring smooth and timely execution.
- Other responsibilities may be required from time to time, including working on internal and external ad hoc special or corporate projects.
- Develop broad knowledge of the of the aviation and airline industry.
Qualifications & Experience
- 2-3 years’ experience in a commercial environment (in the aviation leasing/financing industry or in a legal environment).
- A background in the aviation leasing/financing industry (either in a professional advisory capacity or within a lessor, financier, OEM or other industry participant) will be a distinct advantage.
- Possess a true commercial mindset and an understanding of customer needs and key risks in the business.
- Strong, proven MS skills essential (particularly, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Flexibility in working hours to accommodate demands of different time zones.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel, occasionally on short notice.
- Communicate Openly: strong interpersonal, negotiating and communication skills, both written and verbal and high-level numeracy skills with a capability to influence others.
- Have a can–do attitude: ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic team environment with multiple priorities and deadlines. Self-starter, ability to work independently using own initiative. Proven project management skills with the ability to deliver on a number of time critical projects simultaneously, within a team environment.
- Do the right thing: highly organised, structured with strong attention to detail. Ownership of decision making. Ability to prioritise tasks and escalate potential issues in a timely manner.
- Lead by example: high level of energy, drive, enthusiasm, initiative and commitment.
- Work together: a team-player with an ability to develop and foster strong working relationships with colleagues, airlines, investors and other lessors.
Equality, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) is a core business objective within SMBC Aviation Capital.
All of our employees are afforded equal opportunities and treatment regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, ability, social background, place of employment or religion.