Executive Vice President, Aircraft Trading (Owned Portfolio)
The Aircraft Trading (AT) Team forms an integral part of the delivery of our commercial strategy, the holistic management of our activity in the secondary market and relationship management with investors who we manage aircraft for. Reporting to the Head of Aircraft Trading and located in Dublin, the position of Executive Vice President AT (Owned) is a key role within the leadership team. This is a unique opportunity for an individual with vision, energy and ambition to lead, develop and improve our trading activity.
The Executive Vice President AT (Owned Portfolio) will work closely with the Head of Aircraft Trading to lead a team of experienced professionals, with responsibility for implementing SMBC AC’s commercial strategy on acquiring and selling aircraft and engines with our partners in the secondary market.
The successful applicant will (1) bring the right combination of experience, leadership competencies and cultural fit to enable them to lead a team of professionals, (2) partner with other EVPs in both the AT team and the wider company to deliver shareholder returns, and (3) be required to manage the day to day trading activities and reporting requirements for the AT team while maintaining direct customer coverage responsibilities to ensure they keep pace directly with developments in the market.
- Lead, manage and develop a best in class team of Aircraft Trading professionals globally.
- Develop and implement trading strategy on owned aircraft in SMBC AC’s portfolio and make recommendations to the Head of Aircraft Trading and the broader business.
- Source acquisition opportunities from the secondary market at attractive returns and with target airline customers.
- Coordinate and liaise with the Head of Aircraft Trading and other EVPs in SMBC AC to ensure targets are achieved and decisions concerning trading activities are well informed.
- Embrace market intelligence and provide useful market insight to the business to enable tactical and strategic decisions on allocation of capital to be taken by the business and contribute to the debate for same.
- Drive pricing excellence ensuring consistency and the protection/improvement of profitability.
- Work with others across the business collaborating and influencing in all aspects of the execution of the commercial strategy.
- Establish yourself within the AT team as an expert in trading activities on engines and aircraft.
- Ensure adherence to existing process and procedures of SMBC AC while contributing to improvements of our business flow.
- Develop capabilities within the team, ensuring that all team members have challenging personal development plans in place for current and future roles and ensure that constant development activity is undertaken.
Qualifications & Experience
- Broad industry experience having worked in a variety of relevant trading roles together with a strong market reputation across a diverse network of contacts and with 10 years at a senior level.
- Experience in developing trading strategies and performance metrics.
- Proven mathematical and analytical background, with strong understanding of financial modelling and an in-depth understanding of aircraft / engine acquisition and selling structures.
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to manage large ticket, complex transactions with a proven track record in sourcing and closing business opportunities.
- Proven leadership or people management experience with the ability to develop and communicate a vision that inspires and motivates employees and aligns to SMBC AC’s business strategy.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and nurture relationships with a wide range of internal and industry stakeholders.
- Strong commitment to deliver consistently and exceed targets with a drive for change and continuous improvement in delivering operational excellence and superior service.
- Willingness to travel extensively, occasionally on short notice.
- Flexibility in working hours to accommodate demands of different time zones.
- Communicate Openly: strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal with the ability to form and communicate reasoned opinions and debate when necessary. Proven negotiation skills.
- Have a can–do attitude: self-starter, ability to work independently using own initiative. Strong problem solving, analytical and financial skills.
- Do the right thing: strong ability to understand and operate in a multicultural business environment.
- Lead by example: ability to motivate and lead a cross functional deal team leveraging internal relationships to meet shared goals/objectives.
- Work together: proven track record of building excellent customer relationships. Strong collaborative and communication skills.
Equality, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) is a core business objective within SMBC Aviation Capital.
All of our employees are afforded equal opportunities and treatment regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, ability, social background, place of employment or religion.