VP Commercial Negotiation & Execution
The Commercial Negotiation & Execution (CNX) function forms an integral part of the delivery of our commercial strategy and management of our customers’ needs.
Delivering for our customers is at the heart of our business and our CNX function has a broad remit from leading the negotiation, project management and execution of the various contracts for all transactions undertaken by SMBC AC including leasing, trading, restructuring, OEM procurement and capital markets, managing post-delivery activity and customer relationships through to managing closings and document management.
Reporting to an EVP in CNX and located in Dublin, the position of VP CNX plays an important role within the CNX function. The VP CNX will assume responsibility for the negotiation, project management and execution of the various contracts for transactions undertaken by SMBC AC including leasing, trading, restructuring, OEM procurement and capital markets. This role will have exposure to the world’s largest and most innovative commercial aircraft manufacturers, law firms and a global airline and investor customer base, providing opportunities to work with executive and management colleagues across the business and at our customers. Your responsibilities within CNX will depend on your level of experience and competencies and the requirements of CNX from time to time.
The CNX function reports to the Chief Commercial Officer and together with Airline Marketing (AM), Aircraft Trading (AT), Procurement, Technical, and Portfolio Risk Management, forms Team CCO.
- Lead commercial negotiations at contract stage and post contract stage on behalf of SMBC AC with airlines, investors, financiers and other industry players across a wide range of transactions such as leases, deliveries, sale/purchase transactions, restructurings, repossessions, transitions, financings and portfolio management transactions and ensure that such transactions execute and close on time and on budget..
- Collaborate with colleagues/advisors to support our shareholders in their various aviation related product lines (including JOL, JOLCO and commercial debt products) and participate in/lead Deal Teams for such transactions.
- Work in Deal Teams (during LOI/origination stage) to structure product and transaction offerings on the full range of cross-border aviation financing transactions.
- Assume an important role in implementing SMBC AC’s risk management framework through optimal structuring, teamwork, industry-leading documentation and attention to detail ensuring smooth and timely execution.
- In a key customer facing role you will be expected to act as a primary contact for manufacturers, law firms, airline customers, aircraft investors and other industry participants on transactions.
- Co-ordinate the input of legal, tax, accounting and other professional advisors and represent the interests of SMBC AC and our shareholders in our deals to ensure SMBC AC understands the legal, tax and commercial environment in all jurisdictions where we do business and facilitating our ability to enter new markets.
- Other responsibilities may be required from time to time, including working on internal and external ad hoc special or corporate projects.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel on assignment, from time to time, where required.
Qualifications & Experience
- 5+ years’ experience in a commercial environment (in the aviation leasing/financing industry or in a legal environment).
- Formal legal training and associated qualifications is preferable.
- A background in the aviation leasing/financing industry (either in a professional advisory capacity or within a lessor, financier, OEM or other industry participant) is desirable.
- Possess a true commercial mindset, an understanding of customer needs and key risks in the business.
- Clear track record of critical thinking and an ability to clearly understand and articulate issues and risks while at the same time able to devise and deliver creative and customer focused solutions
- Proven project management and problem-solving skills with an ability and flexibility to work in a fast paced dynamic team environment.
- Experience of or an openness to occasionally working hours to accommodate demands of different time zones.
- Proven ability to build and maintain relationships and networks.
- Strong, proven MS skills essential (particularly, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Communicate Openly: strong interpersonal, negotiating and communication skills, both written and verbal and high-level numeracy skills with a capability to influence others.
- Have a can–do attitude: ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic team environment with multiple priorities and deadlines. Self-starter, ability to work independently using own initiative.
- Do the right thing: highly organised, structured with strong attention to detail. Ownership of decision making. Ability to prioritise tasks and escalate potential issues in a timely manner.
- Lead by example: high level of energy, drive, enthusiasm, initiative and commitment.
- Work together: a team-player with a proven ability to develop and foster strong working relationships with colleagues, airlines, OEMs, investors and other lessors.
Equality, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) is a core business objective within SMBC Aviation Capital.
All of our employees are afforded equal opportunities and treatment regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, ability, social background, place of employment or religion.